Choosing a Polygraphist
In the state of Ohio, there are literally hundreds of persons who offer lie detection services and choosing one can be very difficult. The best way to determine the polygraphists' credibility is to assess their reputation in the area where they do business. Do they have credibility established with the police and prosecutors? If the answer to this question is "no," then why engage this person to conduct a polygraph examination? Obtain the services of a polygraphist who will render an objective opinion and who is respected for this ability.
The following are some things to look for when engaging the services of a qualified polygraphist.
- Make sure the individual is a certified graduate from a polygraph school which has been accredited by the Ohio Association of Polygraph Examiners.
- Make sure the individual is a member of at least one or more of the National Professional Polygraph Associations.
- Request a Curriculum Vitae from the individual which will outline the polygraphists’ education and work history.
- Make sure that the individual is keeping abreast of the latest in polygraph technology by attending on an annual basis seminars and/or classes related to polygraph.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions about the individual’s qualifications and references.
Do not get caught up in the myth that cheapest is always best. It takes a great deal of time and effort to properly conduct a polygraph examination. Prices will vary, but just remember you usually will get what you pay for.
Reputation, education, certification, membership and credibility are the key elements in the selection an expert polygraphist.